What Happened in 2017?
Directions: Complete one Article Summary questionnaire for each article read. (CP two articles. General one article.) Choose a popular news story from 2017 that doesn’t contain any gossip, is not an announcement, and is not exclusively sports related. (For example: Russian election tampering controversy, hurricanes, total solar eclipse, missile testing etc. would be appropriate. Blac Chyna and Rob Kardashian’s feud is not appropriate.)You may search the internet for the most influential events of 2017. Read the article. Then answer the following information on your blog. You may copy and paste the questions onto your post. Then plug in your answers in full sentence form. You have Thursday and Friday to work on this in class. It is due Sunday evening.
- Author(s) of article:
- Title of article:
- Name of magazine, newspaper, website, etc. containing the article:
- Date article was published:
- Web address:
- Discuss the effectiveness of the headline in summarizing the story and getting the reader’s attention.
- Briefly describe the factual content of the story related to the lead: 5 W’s and the H.
- Were all the 5 “W’s” and “H” answered?
- Of all the 5 “W’s” and “H”, star the one you think is the most important. Tell why.
- Magnitude of the event in story
- Is it international, national, or local?
- What is its impact? How many people were affected by it?
- Briefly state the main idea or thesis presented in this article:
- Facts in a news story are supposed to be arranged from most to least important.
- Do you believe he author did this effectively? Why?
Reliability of Sources
- Did the article come from a wire service
- Who are the sources in the article itself? (Examples: lawyer, doctor, neighbor, police officer, forensics expert)
- List one quote that made the article sound more reliable.
- What was the most surprising/interesting thing you found out by reading this article?
- What question(s) do you have after reading this article?
- What would you like to learn more about?